Saturday, July 27, 2002

Movie Reviews

I've seen a bunch of movies lately, and with the hopes that I can save some of you from parting with your cash needlessly, here are my opinions of them:

Men in Black II: Loved the original. The sequel doesn't suck, but lacks the uniqueness that was so charming in the original.
Road to Perdition: I was dragged to this one, having no desire to see it. But it was good, amazingly good. Road trip, redemption, plus all of the plot twists.
Minority Report: Not a Cruise fan, but still liked this movie. He doesn't do any of his pretty-boy preening. Interesting concept (thank you, Speilberg).
The Bourne Identity: I read the book YEARS ago, and loved it. Matt is fabulous, lots of action, and plenty of plot twists.
Sum of All Fears: I usually enjoy Clancy movies. Ben fills Harrison's shoes nicely. But the scene where the bomb goes off -- I choked. It was too close to 11 September for me to see that scene. I considered leaving after that, but stayed and was distracted through the end. Otherwise, it is a great movie, and at another time, I would have loved it.
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: I read the book. The movie is better than the previews where they slam the phones (which isn't in the book). A predictable plot, but so full of twists and interesting things that I wasn't bored. The best kind of chick flick, directed by the writer of "Thelma & Louise" and the writer/director of "Something To Talk About."
Lord of the Rings: I could never finish the book, even though I tried several times, because of all of the details and plot twists that required careful reading. But the movie is very easy to watch, and the places they go are visually amazing. Great story. Count me in for the sequels.

Movies I'm planning to see:
Windtalkers
Spider Man
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
K-19
Austin Powers

No comments: