Friday, May 17, 2002

Painting My Garden Blue
My beehive fireplace dressed for summer heat.
Earlier this week, I took myself shopping at the Town Dump in Cave Creek, which not only claims to be the world's most unique shop, it actually is one of the most unique places I know. I went looking for metal things for the garden, trellis, planters, even a bench. I found several things that I loved, and I brought home a 5 foot tall nd 4 foot wide metal trellis. I'm going to insert it in the ground outside my front window and cover it with a flowering vine to help keep the sun from hitting the non-insulated window. I think it will be fabulous, even though I'm a bit sad about losing the view of the distance. The heat savings will be worth it.

I've been seeing garden shows and magazines lately that have the garden accessories painted this very bright ultra marine blue. So tonight, in my errands, I picked up a quart of it and I've painted the trellis. The guy at Lowe's recommended a primer especially for metal, and I bought it, but then decided not to use it. I think I like the idea of it rusting (more) and some of the paint coming off. I think that would add to the charm of it. The blue color will go nicely with the fabric awnings over the doors and one other window. And I'm thinking about using it on other things I've got in the garden, really making a statement with it. I'm going to install the trellis in the morning and pick up a vine for it in the afternoon, so by Sunday I should have the finished project up and ready for photographs.

I also picked up some taupe paint swatches since I've decided to paint the living room taupe when my project ends. Here is a picture of the fireplace dressed for summer with houseplants, and my inspiration for painting the walls.

No comments: