Thursday, May 23, 2002

Another Letter To A Friend

I seem to be telling my friends what is going on more than I'm writing about it here. Another entry in my cut and paste online journal, courtesy of a friend.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Question: What The Hell Am I Doing?
Answer: I don't know

I'm swamped with work, I've got client projects lined up long enough that I've got to work through the holiday weekend, and I'm so tired I had to take a nap today. That is, after I had the local phone company here for three hours this morning trying to figure out the hum and static on my phone line. The good news, skip that, there isn't any. They have to dig up the buried phone lines for three condo buildings because they discovered that my line is just one of 9 that has the same problem. They have to lay new lines. They said it can be 30 days before it is done. In the meantime, I can use the phone for the Internet, but forget trying to have a conversation, much less INTERVIEW BUSINESSMEN for company profiles, which is what I do for one client. I guess this means I can't work on them for a while, eh?

And today, while napping, I thought: Why don't I just go ahead and accept this job offer and continue to manage the situation from my end like it was a client contract. This after DAYS of kicking and screaming inside (I've got a wild inner child) and refusing to accept the straightjacket of regular employment after 7 years of working for myself. Tonight, I don't know which way I will go, I just hope that no one calls me tomorrow for my answer!

I had hoped to slip out tomorrow afternoon for a lunch time matinee at my neighborhood theatre... with 16 movies showing (well, with all of the screens dedicated to Star Wars, maybe only 6 movies are really showing) I figure that I can find something I will want to see. I hadn't been to a movie in a year, and about a month ago, I started slipping out for Friday matinees. But my client meeting for today was moved to my matinee time. I'm going to try to move the meeting to the morning, and hit the theatre on the way home. I mean, I have PRIORITIES! A girl has to have some fun in her life.

OK, I'm having some fun. I broke down and ordered the first season of Sex and the City from an eBay dealer a couple weeks ago, saving more than $10 over the Amazon price! It came, and I've been slowing working my way through the episodes. I've enjoyed it so much, that I ordered the second season from the same guy in an auction, and saved about $14 over the Amazon price. And yesterday, I totally gave in and ordered the third season from the dealer's website, saving about $10. I've spent just over $60 on these DVDs, and I feel like I've really splurged. I've actually seen episodes that I had missed, and seen the whole episode of some that I had only seen part on the air. I'm sending the first season to my mom to watch, I think she will like the show. It's not something she would sit down and watch when it is broadcast. I just hope she isn't too shocked by the way they handle the sex and nudity. She didn't raise me to be like those girls, but she has loosen up in her wisdom.

So here I am, after having a nap, after working on Trivium, and now writing to you... WHEN I SHOULD BE WORKING! I keep reminding myself that there is no rest for the wicked, or is that the weary? Oh, I in between, I've watched the Harrison Ford biography on A&E (it's STAR WARS week after all!). At least I missed X-Files and Law & Order (oh, yea, because that was during my nap).

I feel like I should jump up and down in my office and scream: SNAP OUT OF IT.

Am I the only one who gets like this?

No comments: